THIS BLOG HAS MOVED. PLEASE WAIT TO BE REDIRECTED IN 5 SECONDS.

Nook Outpaces Kindle in 1st Quarter Shipments

Monday, July 11, 2011

The Nook Color helped Barnes & Noble beat Amazon's Kindle in the eReader market for the first time, according to the International Data Corporation (IDC), which tracks media tablet and eReaders.

The Kindle was second, but the lack of color seems to have allowed the Nook to put a dent in Amazon's previous dominance of the eReader market.

That doesn't mean more Nooks have sold than Kindles. The IDC report refers to the number of eReaders shipped - not purchased. 

All in all, the eReader market is doing well. IDC expects there to be a 24 percent increase over last year in the number of eReaders that are shipped.

I can certainly see the appeal of the Nook. I chose a Kindle for my birthday last year, primarily because I wasn't sure if the Nook would be around for long. Clearly, I miscalculated! I enjoy reading on my Kindle but I can't say that I love it. I do wish it had color and a touchscreen.

And reading magazines on the Kindle is one of the more lackluster experiences out there.

I have to admit I am now eyeballing the Nook for my next birthday. It seems a little wasteful but I find I'm craving a little more color in my life.

1 comments:

Carly said...

I have the Nook and I love it. You should definitely give it a try!

Post a Comment